If you have any different insights on these topics, please share them. Maybe some day some of these ideas will make it to the big leagues and become pro-verbs. I also have a blog for technical computery stuff - zachstechnotes.blogspot.com.

Sunday, October 10, 2010

wasted time

A wise man does not fill all of his days with work;
The fool worries when he is doing nothing.

I think that we need to let more time get "wasted" doing nothing. Down time is really important for figuring out the important things in life. Recently I got an android smartphone. It is a really awesome tool and I am amazed by what it can do, but it makes me feel like I need to be doing something productive all the time.

The other day I was picking up my suit after getting it adjusted. They accidentally double creased one of the pant legs, and the manager said it would take five minutes to fix. I had left my phone in the car, so I just stood there for a minute feeling uncomfortable that I wasn't accomplishing anything. I finally decided to run out to my car and grab it, but by the time I got back, they were bringing out my suit. All of that time was wasted. I could have spent it instead thinking about something important, taking a step back and looking at my life, or in prayer, but instead I wasted it by trying to convince myself that I wasn't wasting it. What foolish priorities!

No comments:

Post a Comment